Sunday, November 20, 2005

Baking Lesson


Yesterday (11/19/2005) was my first time to attend a formal baking class. My mother-in-law is very fond of baking and she’s the one who encouraged me to take baking classes because not all techniques and in-depth know-how can be learned on recipe books. Hands-on experience is the key to master the craft of baking. I only had limited knowledge way back in high school during our Home Economics class. I recalled my HS classmate who taught me her eggnog-like cookies which she called cornstarch cookies. Tried it at home ‘til our oven got busted.

Right now I already know how to bake delicious cookies. Mommy Sally (my mother-in-law) was the first one who taught me including her secret techniques and recipes. No wonder her cookies taste much better than Mrs. Fields =).

My first step to attending a class all started with her urge to learn how to bake fruitcake. She had an ample supply of preserved fruits courtesy of her sister from US that she wants to convert to fruitcake since Christmas season is near. We learned that Castle of Baking and Confectionery Arts (aka Chocolate Lover’s) offers such affordable short-course. I got interested on their Christmas Goodies lesson that features tarts, macaroons and food for the gods among all other 9 goodies. Chef Annie, the Chocolate Queen was our instructor. She’s a master on her field, practical, generous in parting her knowledge and very down to earth. We’re around 40 in her class of all walks of life (but I’m the only preggy in the room, hehe). We divided the baked goodies and just took home a few (more of a sampler) due to our populated class.

Now I’m attempting to perfect each of the recipes I’ve learned. Already baked two batches of Food for the Gods and gathered some positive comments on the taste. Currently trying to sell those baked goodies. Perfect for the Christmas season. =)

Food for the Gods

Not too bad for P150/box (contains 1 dozen). Guaranteed delicious. Orders are welcome. You can contact me anytime at rizcandazo@gmail.com

Btw, conquered my GDM misery by dealing with the enemy, SUGAR! hehehe =) … Though got some idea to go sugar-free in baking, I should be a proficient baker first before aiming it.

No comments: