Saturday, November 19, 2005

On GDM and healthcare . . .

Defined as Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. A common but controversial disorder of glucose intolerance that is recognized during pregnancy.

I’ve become somewhat a resident at The Medical City for the past two days (11/17 - 11/18) because of consultations, check-ups and diagnostic tests performed since I was diagnosed with GDM during my recent prenatal checkup. My GDM is not alarming though. This can be remedied by a strict diet (2000 calorie plan from a dietician), exercise and daily monitoring of blood sugar. The latter is painful and I must get used to pricking my fingers to get blood sample.

The past two days gave me some realizations on common matters that I might have already known but paid no heed.

  • I am what I eat. I can eat a big chocolate bar or 1 dozen of cookies during pre-pregnancy. But now, due to hormonal changes, I might have developed an anti-insulin hormone that caused my GDM.
  • Healthcare in our country is very expensive. Health is literally wealth to people in the medical profession and medical establishments.
  • Hospital and clinic costs like our society also have classes (Class A, B, C). I saved as much as 55% when I opt my diagnostic tests to be done on small clinics.
  • Know and scrutinize the extent of coverage of your company’s health insurance provider. All my maternity related check-ups and diagnostic tests are not covered. Shelled out a lot of money for this and I’m still paying my quarterly contribution which is irrelevant coz I can’t use it right now.

I’m always concerned on my health, pregnant or not. I hope I’ll get well and be better soon because getting sick is very expensive.

No comments: