Saturday, November 12, 2005

Coz I’m Super Sweet

I took a 50g glucose challenge test during my 25th week of pregnancy wherein I was given to drink a very sweet carbonated liquid and blood was drawn from me after an hour. The result of my blood glucose level was way above the normal values as what my OB told me. She’s afraid I might develop gestational diabetes (GD) during my pregnancy so she advised me to take the 100g glucose tolerance test. I felt very scared as well as so annoyed with the outcome since none in our family had history of gestational diabetes. Now I need to watch over my diet, avoiding sweet stuffs as well as carbo-loaded foods (coz carbo will be converted to sugar when processed by our body). What the heck! I thought being pregnant gives me the authority to eat whatever I want for the growth of my baby. I’m wrong big time!

I was very hesitant to take the 100g GTT coz I’ll be paying those hospitals just to draw out blood from me 4 times in four hours! Not only that but I also have to fast 8 hours prior to the first draw and until the whole four hours is over. That’s almost 12 hours or half day without food or any liquid drinks either! Not even water!! But with the help of my best friend who accompanied me throughout the test, I was able to survive this ordeal just to rule out if I really have GD based on formal results. I’ve been pricking daily to monitor my sugar level using my father-in-law’s Medisense and the results are within the normal range though.

I still failed in the 100g GTT =(… sniff sniff… =( Had my pre-natal checkup today (31st week) and I was formally diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I really felt very bad. Got mixed emotions of being scared, deprived and saddened. My OB sounds so pessimistic to me as she enumerates the probable effects of having GD. That I might need to take insulin shots (damn those needles again!), that we might lose our baby, that our baby might be overweight for normal delivery.. and the list of possibilities goes on. Now I have to consult with an endocrinologist and dietician. I need to closely monitor my sugar level and to follow a strict low-sugar and low-carb diet.

I wish and pray that the last 9 weeks (approx) will be very well for me and our baby. This will be our first born and we don’t want to lose her… Oh good Lord please hear our pleas.

No comments: